I'm really a big picture person. I always grasp the overall ideas easily, letting the details float around in the air, often not finishing whatever I had started. So the idea of a tunnel book was no problem. The reality has become a huge challenge and I'm cursing all the way, but determined to do it.
I began this fourth iteration by printing out all of the pieces, I thought.There are seven finished pages comprised of twenty separate pieces glued together. (I'll explain with pictures when I've finished the book.) Six sides have 24 separate pieces. My caveat when I said 'I thought' I had printed everything out was because I went back afterward and decided to change the last two sides. This is after figuring it all out (?) on the computer.
I drew a little diagram making decisions about how the pieces will be glued together and started to mark the pieces, but never finished because that was more detail than I could handle. Each of the 44 pieces, 6×9 or 6×6, had to be trimmed from the 8.5 x 11 card stock, maintaining tabs on the outer side pieces. Fortunately I have a new paper cutter; the old guillotine style would have been impossible, but even so, it took me most of a day. I try to do most of this in the morning; by evening I know I'll screw up.
In spite of my aching hands and tired legs (I prefer standing when I do this), I enjoyed the cutting. It made me think of my childhood when I loved cutout books. I never played with dolls, but I liked cutting out the dolls and clothes. I thought my inner child was dead, but maybe it was only comatose.
This morning I started glueing and am now taking a break while I wait for the glue to dry. I'll finish this story tomorrow or Saturday. That's as many details as I can handle in one post and it's lunch time.