The book is finished

although I plan to do it again. I still want better card stock and better craftsmanship. Here's the book, closed.

IMG_2622
The closure, on the left, is fragile, even worse than I anticipated, so I want to figure out another way to do it.

Back view:

IMG_2623
That's the Allegheny River at the back end of the tunnel. Here is the wrapper opened.

IMG_2627
The same closure works this way, also, finishing the back of the book when it is open. A view from above:

IMG_2628
Photographing this thing is a nightmare. I no longer have proper backdrops or the lighting. Here is the front of the open book with the wrapper loosely encircling it.

IMG_2625
With the two flaps opened you can look into the book. Here you can see four or five of the ten pages.

IMG_2615
Unlike some of the commercial tunnel books much of this one has to be seen from above and as with many other books, each page, or group of pages, has to be seen serially. A few more pictures:

IMG_2614
IMG_2608
IMG_2607

Here is why I want to do it again. Each of the pages should be flat, no curves, with sharp creases and no gaps. 
IMG_2624


 

Back to the book

Thanks to some good questions from Mage I spent the last week figuring out how to 'package' the book, and how to end it. Remember those flaps sticking out the back end?

IMG_2590

I've started to work from the back. Even with my fancy diagram I'm still making mistakes about the tabbing. Haven't started glueing yet, just cutting, scoring and folding. My brain doesn't want to deal with all of this, but I'm pushing it. Correcting the diagram I found several mistakes confusing things, which I clarified, I hope.

Diagram

Horizontal yellow bars are the pages of the book, joining both sides. Three larger angles are pictures showing the depth of the tunnel, which pull apart to show horizontal structures, the bridges. Thinner, smaller angles are the water feature along the sides of the tunnel.

The rectangle at the bottom of the diagram becomes the wrapper for the book, reversing direction and fastening in the front around the compressed book, which is about one inch thick. The wrapper worries me, because it will fold in both directions, creating possibly destructive wear on the paper hinges.

I began working on the wrapper assembly and glued an additional strip of card over each of the tabs. This made the whole thing too thick and cumbersome. Back to the computer I printed the two small pieces, bottom right, together, eliminating the need for one set of tabs, and reinforced the fold with linen tapes; did all of the first glueing steps working backwards through piece 9; and put everything under weights to dry flat.  I won't continue working on it until I see how everything dries.